Monday, March 30, 2009

A Trip to the ER

Last Tuesday I had a very little sick girl on my hands.
I took her in to the doctor and he told us that she had the beginnings of croup. I was very worried about her fever. It was leveled at 103.0. They told me she was just trying to fight an infection and that I shouldn't worry unless it got to 105.0.


Well, on Wednesday night and Thursday morning her fever skyrocketed to 104.7. I called the doctor and they told me that they couldn't see her for another 3 hours. I tried and tried to wait but I worry a little too much. I didn't want to wait and had to follow my gut so we ended up in the ER. Luckily, my mom could get off work to be with us since Brian was still in the Philippines. I don't do well in these type of situations. The nurses and doctors must have thought that I had was crazy. I pretty much balled the whole time.


The took 3 tests. Strep (which was NO fun to see the nurses shove a giant Q-tip down her throat while my mom and I were holding her down), a chest ex-ray (again I had to hold her down), and an influenza test where they put saline solution into her nose then stick a long tube up there to suck out the snot for testing (again, we were a mess!)



After much screaming she finally calmed down and fell asleep.




Even when she is sick she is so cute! The results came back and she tested positive for influenza A.






We are trying everything to keep this little girl hydrated!






She does like Popsicles, Pedialite and Gatorade.
We are so happy that Brian is home now from the Philippines. He came home to a very sick baby AND a sick wife. I caught everything from Lauren very quickly!! We're still battling this. I'm taking her into the doctor today for an ER check-up. Her fever is still fluctuating but it hasn't gone up past 103. Until then we are trying to stay away from everyone and wash our hands! We're also trying to get lots of sleep. We're trying really hard to make sure that Brian doesn't get this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mom and Lauren! I am so glad you both are beginning to feel better. We love you all!
BTW: What a great little dancer Lauren is!

Vernon, Gwen and family

Erin said...

Poor little Lauren, and poor Janelle! I'm pretty sure I'd be bawling if I were you too! I hope you all get better soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Jen said...

It's always so hard to watch your kids suffer from illnesses. I hope she gets well soon!!

Tiffany said...

Bummer dude, that sounds like no fun. Kyler regularly gets fevers between 103-104, highest being 104.5, but so far they never find anything wrong. I'm glad they know whats going on and that your both working on getting better.

Sherrie said...

Get well soon Little Miss Lauren!!

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

Poor little thing. There is nothing worse than a sick baby. I freak out every time the kids get sick. I hope you are all feeling better. By the way did you ever get my email about the crazy adoptive mom story?

Jen said...

How's she doing? She's too cute to be sick.