Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lauren's New Kitchen

Our latest project has taken us a little longer than we had planned. We saw a cute idea back in January and have been waiting for the weather to warm up. We made the cutest little kitchen for Lauren. I really wish we could take credit for the idea but we got it from a website.

Here it is. We started out with this...
Brian cut a hole for the sink.


We put the back on, put the hardware on to strengthen it, put the lights on, added rails for the dishwasher, and put the microwave together.


Our garage was a mess for a while. I am anxious to get my car back in there!


After everything was put together we started to sand.


Everything. there was a lot of sanding!


Lauren helped clean. Kinda. :-)


Okay maybe she did help more than we give her credit for.


Then we primed everything,


We got these from an old stove. We got knobs from a different stove. We then took both stoves plus a washer and dryer that I found on KSL to the recyclers. We got about $100.00. Not bad huh?


We had to put 2 layers of prime on it. It was pretty dark wood before.


Lauren wanted to help us paint too. So we let her have the roller and she painted the back.


We worked a few late nights. These lights helped us stay up late.


Then we taped off the microwave, the oven, and the dishwasher. We painted the microwave and dishwasher white and painted the oven black. We used paint sample cans from home depot. They were about $2.50 each color.


We spray painted the dishwasher door, microwave door, and the stove door stainless steel.


Then we painted the rest of the unit. We had a blue can of paint left over from another project so the paint was free.


Then we added the sink (which was free from my brother), painted the stove, added all the knobs (which were all from IKEA for super cheap), and added the doors on. We also added the picture. It is a picture from our property out in Idaho. Brian framed it and put Plexiglas over it to make it look more like a window.


Here is the finished project!


We added curtains (out of fabric that I had laying around along with the curtain rod), a pot rack and hooks (from IKEA for $4.00), pots and utensils (which were from Brian's mom as her contribution), and a black IKEA bin (which was $4.00) Here it is with the dishwasher loaded and cookies in the oven. Here's a closeup of the microwave and stove.


The dishwasher.


The sink and dishwasher.


Cookies in the oven.


We also added a phone (which used do to be an almond color) that we got for our wedding and the light switch.


Lauren inspecting our work. Ta da! She approves.


She's happy!



She plays with it ALL the time! She loves it. I hear her many times a day yell "mom, the cookies are done!" It's all worth it to see this happy face!

3 comments:

C and T & Co. said...

I LOVE the kitchen! So cute! I wanted to make a kitchen for my girls, but we ran out of time before Christmas and so I bought one I found on sale. I love the homemade ones so much better! Great job!

Deanna said...

Ok - that has got to be one of the cutest things EVER!!! Oooo my goodness. That is totally awesome! Sooo - I might be out in Utah this summer and would love to get together with you guys - email me!!!

Tiffany said...

Thats SO awesome, looks like a lot of work, but will be something you'll have forever. Awesome!